Sunday, November 4, 2012

RA#3


Title: Girl

Author: Jamaica Kincaid

Date: 1983

Analysis Of Argument

Exigence: The lack of opportunities to develop  in society as a person and not only  as a woman. Who is capable to be productive in  the "man's world".

Intended Audience: To change the original women's role in order to create and  extent a new "women's role" to produce for society.

Purpose: To create a variety of ideas in society and equalize women's rights as men.

Claim: Women have being minimized in the last  decades for a simple fact of being women. Men have had the believe that women belong to the kitchen and they are good just to follow rules.

Main Evidence

   Jamaica Kincaid highlights women's struggles to be accepted  as part of society as men in matter of behavior and manners. According to Kincaid a woman was seeing as somebody who had to obey by following a daily schedule and behave certain way as a woman that's the way it is suppose to be. In the reading shows a dialogue between a mother and a daughter about a certain schedule that the daughter had to follow everyday. This article was published in 1983 by the New Yorker. (525). Kincaid describes  how her daily routine was by writing a schedule that she had to do so she doesn't show her feelings towards a mandatory duties and behavior that men had not to worry about. I couldn't tell if she disagree or not of what her mom's idea was towards women.

   My response to Kincaid's writing has to do a little bit based on my back ground. My grand mom and mom (R.I.P)  suffered so much because of men my dad and grandfather. My mom observed how my grandfather mistreated my grand mom beats, verbal abuse  and I observed how my dad mistreated my mom same scenario, so it affected me so much that every time I have to talk about this I hate men. Both of them did not have the right tools to face that, because my grand mom barely went to school and mom did not take the opportunity to study further high school so that did not help them out. Fortunately, My mom and grand mom thought me how to be independent by going to school, work and not depending on men and all except for my father. Fortunately,  My father supported me, so I followed what they thought me and I broke a generation of mistreatment like an unhealthy  cycle. Now, I am happily married to a wonderful man that support my ideas and he had never hit me or abuse me verbally. Women have the power to change how they want to live and who they want to live with so all depends on how much believe in ourselves. That   gave me the power to became who I am now. I am so proud of myself that I want everybody to live  the way I  live free of mistreatment and minimization. I agreed that women should behave certain way but without dictatorship or excluding man of responsibilities of the house. I would say that men and women should work together like a team, free of preferences because of gender. The best chefs are men so I don't see why women are the ones always cooking at home, so I think that men and women deserve the same treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment